Our idea of what constitutes "food" in American culture has become so skewed that it is almost unrecognizable. Our supermarkets are packed with products whose ingredients include unpronounceable chemicals, dyes, bacteria, and growth hormones. They are irradiated without our consent and contain GMOs.It's time to bring back FOOD. Pure unadulterated organic RAW food.This blog is a documentation of my continuing journey on a plant-based lifestyle.

Friday, November 13, 2009

Who Doesn't Scream for Ice Cream!


God, I freaking LOVE ice cream. In my S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) days I could eat an entire carton of ice cream on my OWN. Gross, I know, right? It's ok, call me a pig, because I totally was. My love affair with ice cream runs deep and it's creamy coolness is one of my ultimate comfort foods.

These days, I like to treat myself with Coconut Bliss or Agave Nectars cashew or coconut based ice creams instead of the puss-filled diary variety. (That was supposed to make you squimish by the way.) It takes every fiber of my being NOT to eat an entire pint when I buy it. Luckily, I often have someone to share it with!

In my Bikram yoga class today, as I was sweating my life away in standing head to knee pose, the chilly goodness of raw ice cream began to call my name. Huzzah for intutition, I remembered I had frozen some over ripe bananas yesterday! But whatever is an ice cream loving girl to do without her trusty ice cream maker! (It was one of the few appliances I parted with when we moved here to California. My future mother-in-law is taking very good care of it for me though!) Ah, the food processor. So I whipped up this ultra-guilt free banana ice cream that is sitting in my freezer as we speak waiting to be eatin!

Banana-Vanilla Ice Creame :
As many frozen bananas as you got!
1 T vanilla
2 T mesquite powder
2 T lacuma powder
1 handful of Trader Joe's freeze dried banana chips
1 pinch of nutmeg
1 pinch of cinnamon

Blend in the food processor until all ingredients begin to combine to a thick, creamy, consistency. Keep checking it. You want it to be REALLY thick so do not add any water or nut mylk. It should look just like soft serve coming out of a machine. I put mine back in the freezer because I wasn't going to eat it right away, but it is ready to eat right away Totally de-lish, totally guilt free!

I plan on eating my ice cream with some choco-avo pudding tonight with some chopped nanners on top!


(Picture courtesy of myrecipes.com -- would have posted my own, but my camera seems to be out of batteries at the moment. oppsy!)

1 comment: