Our idea of what constitutes "food" in American culture has become so skewed that it is almost unrecognizable. Our supermarkets are packed with products whose ingredients include unpronounceable chemicals, dyes, bacteria, and growth hormones. They are irradiated without our consent and contain GMOs.It's time to bring back FOOD. Pure unadulterated organic RAW food.This blog is a documentation of my continuing journey on a plant-based lifestyle.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Farmers Market

So this morning I got my bum out of bed and Kevy and I went to the Thursday Costa Mesa Farmers Market. Compared to the UCI Farmers Market this one leaves MUCH room to be desired. However, I did find really ripe persimmons for $1.00 a pound!! At Mother's you pay .89 cents each! I heart persimms to the max so I was especially happy to find organic persimms at such a steal. I also got organic broccoli to change up my cauliflower mash to broccoli mash. And lastly, we bought some heirloom toms.

We had to stop at Mother's on the way home to pick up some greens to hold us over until Saturday when we can stock up for the week. While Kev typically has a salad everyday and I put sprouts on his wraps, we both agree that the best way to get greens is via juice or smoothie; easily absorbed planty goodness! I've been seriously slacking on making him green smoothies, I mean REALLY slacking...like MONTHS! I feel guilty about this because I make them for myself everyday, but he isn't home when I do. I guess I could save some? Anyway, no reason to dwell on the past- must move foward with green smoothie goodness from here on out!

I was reading Greens for Life again while on the eliptical yesterday and V.B. said that 1 cup of green smoothie a day is enough to bring about positive changes which is awesome. Anyone can do that! I made Kevy a swiss chard, banana, and pineapple smoothie with a tablespoon of Vitamineral Green today plus manna bread with almond butter and some leftover cobbler topping for breakfast. And his lunch/dinner is  a sprouted grain wrap with organic whole grain mustard, mini-portobello mushrooms, and sprout salad.

Ouu! Today I made Onion Flax Bread! It is in the dehydrator right now. I'm also sprouting some lentils, adzuki beans, mung beans, and sunflower seeds plus some soft wheat berries for rejevulac (fermented drink that is loaded with beneficial enzymes). And, I have got some banans in the freezer so I can make ice cream later.

(Onion bread in the D)

I am giving my tum a break today. I am waititng to do yoga and replacing breakfast and lunch with lemon water as a mini-fast/break for my digestive system. I like to do this at least once a week for healing purposes. So I will just post whatever I eat after yoga.

Exercise: Bikram yoga 

Eaten Today: 
 Lemon water
3 banans with 1 cup almond milk
Green smoothie (spinach/swiss chard/ orange/ 2 bananas/ frozen pineapple/ heaping tablespoon vitamineral green)
1 baby persimmon
Cucumber Dill-licious soup (half a cuc/miso/celery/alfafa sprouts/green onion blended and poured over other half of the cuc and sprout salad with nutritional yeast powder and cayanne-dulse seasoning.

And later tonight I will be eating my babanaaaaaa ice cream w/ fresh dates, cinnamon, and dried figs.

Vanilla Banana Ice Cream with Maple Caramel Sauce topped with Fresh Dates and Banana

Soooo my Onion Bread which is utterly the most simple thing to make -- ground flax seeds soaked and then mixed with blended onions, green onion, and a bit of jalepeno pepper w/ sea salt (I used Himalayan Sea Salt) is utterly fantastic. It is so light and fluffy and my whole apartment smells like cheesesteak and toast  - two of my old favourites. I am not partial to raw onion, but carmalized or blended to make a bread = onion heaven! Think I will most certainly be bringing this to the potluck in Sherman Oaks this weekend!

*FM photos from google images

No comments:

Post a Comment