Our idea of what constitutes "food" in American culture has become so skewed that it is almost unrecognizable. Our supermarkets are packed with products whose ingredients include unpronounceable chemicals, dyes, bacteria, and growth hormones. They are irradiated without our consent and contain GMOs.It's time to bring back FOOD. Pure unadulterated organic RAW food.This blog is a documentation of my continuing journey on a plant-based lifestyle.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Back from Blog Hiatus!

Much apologies for the blog hiatus!! Forgive me, I was consumed by holiday craziness and the fact that Kevin and I flew back to New York which in and of itself is a pain and a half. Anyway, I am back! Just in time as the new year has begun and my birthday is in like four days (January 9th) and I will be turning 24 which is sooo weird. I remember when I started kindergarten and being on the bus with kids who were obviously only in elementary school and feeling like they were tres old and now here I am turning 24. Strange to think that in six years I will be 30. But, I must stay in the present as I have no desire to be 30 right now.

                                                                    Merry Christmas!
                                                    

 
So, what have I been up to? Well, K got me a bike for x-mas so I haven't felt so trapped. I have been bike riding all around Costa Mesa everyday and have only gotten lost once! We went to LA this weekend to eat at Sun Power and got a free slice of this amazing Coconut Almond Butter pie because we waited over an hour for food. The lady was really sweet and the slice of pie was HUGE which you know me, I luurrveee when you get a decent sized portion of food. Then we went up to Pasadena - love it. So much to do and it is very much walkable which is my ideal living area. This whole "must have a car" deal really bums me out. I don't even want a car! I prefer my eco-friendly mode of transportion via the bike, but I would much rather live in a walkable area. I watched this whole show with Emeril Lagasse about Hartwick, VT. Everything is very community based, walkable, and it is where the organic food movement began. They even started a restaurant where the community members invested in it and all the food they use comes from the local farms. I want to live in a place like that.

As far as food goes, I am in a food funk for sure. I had a really awful dehydration headache over the weekend and that has kind of put me off of food. I am not really hungry for anything and after I eat I often feel like, "why did I even eat that?" The night of my headache I had a cucumber and mushroom salad and now the very thought of cucs makes me gag. Cucs are my fav. so this is very disheartening! The only thing that doesn't seem to bother me is green smoothies and dates. I need to find a few new dishes to subsist on - I am still in the mood for nori rolls so I think I am going to pick them up tonight.

Great tip K. discovered while trying to soothe my very painful headache: massage the skin between your thumb and pointer finger. He literally did this for over an hour until I fell asleep and then some. It was the only thing that made my headache go away. When pressure is applied between the two fingers the nerve it seends messages directly to the brain, according to Kevin. I don't care what the reason is, it worked. I should know better than to not hydrate enough between Bikram and the gym - both places where I sweat A LOT. Replenishing your water supply and electrolytes is VERY important.

Right now, I am going to have my green smoothie and I have been adding raisins to it and dates. Sooo yum. Perfect fuel for my nightly gym workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment