Our idea of what constitutes "food" in American culture has become so skewed that it is almost unrecognizable. Our supermarkets are packed with products whose ingredients include unpronounceable chemicals, dyes, bacteria, and growth hormones. They are irradiated without our consent and contain GMOs.It's time to bring back FOOD. Pure unadulterated organic RAW food.This blog is a documentation of my continuing journey on a plant-based lifestyle.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ruth's Chia Goodness


So the past two weekends I have been teaching a Raw Food Start-up Class at the Environmental Nature Center. Raw Start-up for me means simple, tasty, raw food that virtually anyone can incorporate into their diet without too much fuss or the pressure of having to commit 100% to raw foods. As I have tired to reinforce many times, you don't have to be one hundred percent to reap the benefits of a living foods lifestyle. An organic, whole foods diet rich in greens, veggies, fruits, and whole grains - free of all things processed -coupled with physical exercise will bring you much more success than struggling to be totally raw. (I cannot stress enough how important EXERCISE is, regardless of what kind of diet you follow! You're body needs help cleaning out years of excess, built-up toxins and just eating healthy simply doesn't cut it.)

Most of my students are looking for quick recipes, something that will taste really good without being too time consuming; that seems to be the big "hang up" for people when it comes to going raw. While I personally think that a smoothie, full of fruit and greens is the best way to begin the day after a workout, sometimes people want something heartier. In the winter months, even though it is California, my students are often looking for warmer, more comforting foods to beging their day.

I've had my eye on Ruth's Chia Goodness (original flavor as the other two contain cane sugar) for a while now. The original flavor is simply chia seeds, hemp seeds, sprouted buckwheat, and sea salt. Three powerhouses when it comes to protein, trace minerals, essential fatty acids like omega 3 and 6, and calcium. It provides slow-releasing energy and is low-glycemic to boot. It doesn't get easier or tastier. Chia Goodness is awesome because sometimes buying chia and hemp separately can be pretty costly and for some, may be hard to find. Ruth's Hemp Foods does the hard work for you, which is fantastic in my book.

 I like to add this to my smoothies to make them a bit thicker, but this is excellent eaten on its own. All you have to do is mix with water (add warm water for a breakfast reminiscent of oatmeal) or nut milk, stir, and let thicken for two or three minutes. Add your prefered sweetener of choice like maple syrup or date paste - perhaps you'd like to add some fruit such as apple or banana. You really cannot go wrong here.

My only qualm was that I found it at Mother's for $4.19 and when I went back to restock, they were out of "original" and the price had mysteriously gone up to $5.89. I checked Whole Foods and they didn't even sell the "original" and the price for the other two flavors was a whooping $6.99. In New York, at Westerly, this was $3.89 or something rediciously affordable like that. I am going to be very sad if I have to wait until it goes on sale to buy it again as I am absolutely smitten with this chia/hemp/buckwheat combo.

If you happen to find this is in your local health food store, or your Whole Foods carries it and doesn't charge you an arm and a leg -- give it a try! or of course, you can make your own if you have these gems in stock...

P.S. This is especially delicious mixed with Raw Chocolate Mousse!


Food:
-1 gallon water throughout the day
-16 oz. water w/ lime
- 2 Green Magic Smoothies + 4 kiwi
- 2 dates + 1 T cacao nibs
-Veggies & Dip: 1 red bell pepper, 5 stalks celery, 2 slices of cuc,  dipped in a maple/mustard/n.y. /jalapeno mixture  & 5 leaves of romanine lettuce dipped in my housemade ranch dressing
-1 avocado with lime and kelp/cayenne
-5 organic turkish figs from whole foods
-1 bag of TJs freeze dried banana

...pretty sure I need to cut back on the nutritional yeast as I think it is causing excess mucus to form i.e. a short time after eating I start to spit food back up. totally gross.

Exercise:
- 90 minute Bikram
- 4 mile run
- 10 minutes on eliptical @ resistance of 10
- 1 mile general walking

No comments:

Post a Comment