Our idea of what constitutes "food" in American culture has become so skewed that it is almost unrecognizable. Our supermarkets are packed with products whose ingredients include unpronounceable chemicals, dyes, bacteria, and growth hormones. They are irradiated without our consent and contain GMOs.It's time to bring back FOOD. Pure unadulterated organic RAW food.This blog is a documentation of my continuing journey on a plant-based lifestyle.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cheezy Goodness


One of my absolute favourite reads in the blogosphere is that of Kristen Suzanne's from Kristen's Raw. Her website is jam-packed with awesome raw tips including everything from the whats-what in eco-beauty to the many ways to detox. Her approach to the high raw lifestyle is very positive, and almost effortless. One of my favourite aspects of the site is the food. As a raw food chef myself, I am always looking for inspiration from other raw chefs and since Ms. Suzanne has an awesomly wide variety of raw food books being sold on amazon, I trust that this lady knows her raw food.
With that said, I have been meaning to try her Cheezy Hemp Nacho Sauce for eons! (Check out the picture to the left! Does that not look like something you just want to dive into?!) After much kitchen procrastination, I had B stop at the store to pick up some of the ingredients that I didn't have. We had Kelp Noodles in the fridge because they are on sale here in California both at Mother's Market AND Whole Foods so I used a mixture of kelp noodles and spiralized zucchini to make pasta.

On a side note, I had been marinating the kelp noodles in water and liquid smoke, just for experimentation. If you are looking for a really rich and decadent tasting pasta this is the way to go. The liquid smoke gave a bacon-y flavour to the noodles. Sooo yummy!

Anyway, back to the Cheezy Hemp Nacho Sauce. The recipe, as linked above, is very simple and straight forward and took me literally five minutes to make. Who doesn't love that? And, the best part, this sauce is so versatile!! Don't want that nacho flavour? Then omit the chili powder! That's what I did. I wasn't sure I wanted to have nacho pasta, so I left out the chili powder and only put a small pinch of cayenne for colour. It was so savory, creamy, and light. Also, while I think hemp seeds work best in this recipe because they offer a lighter, healthier alternative to your traditional cashew-based sauces, one could easily used seseame seeds, walnuts, or even, yes, cashews in this recipe. But, if you are like me and try to go easy on the nuts and seeds, hemp is the best way to go. I have no problem digesting these cholorphyll and protein packed lovies! (These babies are my fav! Regardless of your hemp-brand preference, make sure they are organic, but I think that goes without saying!)

 B and I were oohh and ahhh the whole time we ate. This sauce is seriously the bomb and I am pretty sure I am going to eating this everyday for the rest of my l ife tonight.


Other than cheezy goodness, i've had two green smoothies today. We bought two five lb. bags of oranges at Henry's Farmers Market on Sunday. They were Purity Organic juice oranges. They are blah. I like the ones we get from the Irvine farmers market much better. I decided to not put the oranges in my smoothies today and it turned out much better.

Today's smoothie included:
  •  2 organic banans
  • 2 organic kiwis
  • 4 cups packed organic spinach
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups frozen mango

This went for both of my smoothies. I topped it off wit some chewy organic rasisins and wah-la! Delicious green smoothie for me!

Ok, time to hit the bike. I've got some groceries to pick up from Mother's.

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog :)! I've been wanting to make the hemp nacho sauce too, but haven't found hemp seeds in my area yet. I might have to order them online. I've read nothing but good reviews from everyone who's made this. Kristen Suzanne is awesome!

    ReplyDelete