Our idea of what constitutes "food" in American culture has become so skewed that it is almost unrecognizable. Our supermarkets are packed with products whose ingredients include unpronounceable chemicals, dyes, bacteria, and growth hormones. They are irradiated without our consent and contain GMOs.It's time to bring back FOOD. Pure unadulterated organic RAW food.This blog is a documentation of my continuing journey on a plant-based lifestyle.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pickle of a Green Smoothie


Lately, as mentioned in previous posts, I am on a Green Smoothie feast. Purely unintentional. It seems to be the only thing that isn't causing my gag reflax to spring into action. Love me some green smoothie.

Today's green smoothie was a variation of my usual. I have been soaking some soft wheat berries to make rejevulac - a probiotic power packed lemony drink that assists digestion. I've given up on chugging smoothies. I pour mine into a bowl and top it with all sortsf of goodies:

  • 1 cup rejuevulac
  • 1 organic california orange
  • 4 HUGE handfuls of organic spinach
  • 1 organic banana
  • 4 organic dried black mission figs
  • 1 organic gala apple
  • 1 cup ice
  • 1 cup organic strawberries
  • 2 spoonfuls organic Nutiva Naturals hempseeds (the best there is, IMP)
Blend until a creamy, slightly cold, creamy goodness. I topped mine with organic rasisins, more hempseeds, and cacao nibs. Ah, can not get enough of this!



    
              (pre-hemp seed.cacao nib photos of my smoothie in a bowl! don't knock it till ya tray it!)


In an effort to keep our leisure spending on groceries down we've been on a steady roll of me making Kevin's meals. He isn't totally raw, which is fine with me, I want him to enjoy meals and to be honest, for him, I think a mix of the two works better. I do not think you need to be 100 percent raw to be healthy. I do a lot of Ezekial Sprouted Grain Tortilla and Avocado wraps, salads, apples and almond butter, sweet potatos/yams, and grain mixes with vegetables topped with seaweed and nutritional yeast. I made a homemade broccoli and nutritional yeast croutons that he can scoop his grains. It was pretty good and reminded me of a crispy version of the Broccoli Casserole, my absolute favourite meal, that my Mim used to make for me.

 I have learned that forcing someone to eat the way you do is simply not fair and rather selfish. It should be about compromise and I try and do just that with the meals I make. I don't really agree with the over processed vegan food like Tofurkey Deli meats and what not, as they are still loaded with chemicals and things that I don't really feel benefit the body. Occasionally, on a holiday or something, we'll buy a vegan field roast as it is just wheat gluten, veggies, and spices. And every once in a while Kevin will buy some Eddie's Vegan Cookies, however, we make it a treat not an every day affair. I think this works for both of us. Sometimes, I still get worked up about what he is eating because I want him to be healthy and disease-free, but it is important to recongize that you can only give people the tools to be healthy and one can only do so much. After that, you have to let people chart their own course; let them realize what makes them feel best and what doesn't. 

On that note, i'm watching Anthony Bourdain. I love him, but his idea of what is appetizing is often questionable. I understand his French, peasant roots  - where the reject parts of game are often prized and highly sought after, but tongue, brains, and liver sauteed with lambs blood and stuffed inside the bladder of the lamb and roasted? Really? He also never fails to mention that he doesn't care about DDTs or chemicals in his food as long as it tastes good. Have people yet to realize that food produced WITHOUT pesticides DOES taste better? Such comments make me realize how long of a haul we really have...that, and the insanely long line at El Pollo Loco I see everyday walking home from Bikram. Yet, I just got a message from my Grandmere and Uncle Pat that Monanto sales are down considerably! Ahhh, take that! It is things like this that lift my spirits.

Slowly, we will take back food. It may not matter to a large portion of the population, but when food prices rise due to peak oil, and people can no longer afford to shop at grocery stories because of the cost to transport a tomato from Chile to NY -- it will be the CSAs and Food Co ops and those growing their own food who will be able to say, "I told you so."

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete