Our idea of what constitutes "food" in American culture has become so skewed that it is almost unrecognizable. Our supermarkets are packed with products whose ingredients include unpronounceable chemicals, dyes, bacteria, and growth hormones. They are irradiated without our consent and contain GMOs.It's time to bring back FOOD. Pure unadulterated organic RAW food.This blog is a documentation of my continuing journey on a plant-based lifestyle.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

"I hear you're living out of state, running with a whole new scene..."

I am not sure what this says about our personalities, but to date -- Kev and I have never lived in any apartment longer than one year. Each time we move Kev and I both SWEAR that it's the last. We hate moving: the packing, the shleping of crap from one apartment to the next, the unpacking; It's all very stressful. (Esp. since I typically bare the whole of the unpacking duties. Love him to death, but last week he asked me -- after six months living in the same apartment mind you, IF we had any dishes and WHERE they were....?!?!?!? So, unless I'd like to make more work for myself and have to unpack twice, it's just smarter that I assume this task. )

We cannot seem to stay put for whatever reason. Kev's Mom calls us 'nomads'.

This move was signficantly easier since a good portion of our things are still back at home with our parents...at this point I don't even remember what we've left...

Except of course, when I have to bake dozens of mini- vegan muffins for a breakfast event at the ENC and I've got no muffin tins to speak of...

(Mini Vegan/GF Double Chocolate Chunk & Cinnamon Coffee Cake Muffins)

I made Kev eat the one with the chocolate smudge on the side of the paper...right, because I really had to FORCE him. He was hovering the whole time...

...or measuring cups...

Thank Buddha and Mother Earth and the Energy of the Universe for guiding me to the mecca of home shopping aka Ross...and Target...

(And for these fine people that make up my favourite show on all television: Kell On Earth!!! Talk about hardworking, power-girls + AJ Mukamal  -- whose seriously got a closet to die for! Yeah, I'm pretty jealous. )


(google images)
...but, I digress...

Anyway, we really just moved to the opposite side of the complex to an apartment with a balcony (now we can start our garden!), vaulted ceilings (ugh, just like the Mountain House. Love it!), and sunlight coming in from every direction.

So other than client orders to fill and a bunch of other work related things, this hath been the reason why I've been so seriously M.I.A. lately.

I've been writing in my head though, does that count for something??

And well, I guess I should come clean about my latest obsession that's taken me away from the computer all together...I am really late in the game on this one, I know...


Twilight Saga!
(google images)
Yeah, it finally happened. I came around. But it was either Twilight or Rush Hour 2!!! Costa Mesa Lib. DVD collection is quite limited to say the least. (Gross understatement!!!)

Twilight, the movie, in my opinion, was much better than I thought it would be since I had no expectations what-so-ever.

And now, I'm obsessed, to the point where I read late into the night, have literary discussions with friends [who I know have read it] about the anti-feminine nature of Edward and Bella's relationship....and find multiple ways to annoy the hell out of Kevin with Twilight Saga/Vampire references. (P.S. Kev, if you are reading this, I wasn't kidding about that framed picture of Edward at Ross. I want it. Please?)


I read New Moon in 2 1/2 days and I am already more than halfway through Eclipse.

I never understood the hype other than the fact that Robert Pattinson is really stinkin' hott. Common, you can't blame me: vampires, werewolves, screaming teenage girls gaga for said vampires/werewolves - this had AWFUL and PLAYED OUT written all over it.

Alas, I've succumbed. Go Team Edward. I am slightly embarrassed that my last two trips to the library have resulted in me checking out books from the "Teen Reading" section, but I really don't care, I am a total Twilight addict.

I've kind of always had a thing for vampires though so I guess it was only a matter of time. I used to make my Grandmere tell me vampire stories all the time. I loved it, but it, uh, wasn't too great for my parents when they'd try to put me to bed and I'd scream bloody murder because I was too afraid to be left alone for fear that I'd be bitten.

Even wayyy into middle school (so..shameful...) I would sleep with my "BB" (my blanket, lord) around my neck that way I would know if anything tried to come through my window/the attic door to bite me. True Story.

Over-active imagination much??

I'm going to see New Moon on Wednesday and dragging taking Kev with me. He's not too thrilled, so I plan on buttering him up by making his favourites: Vegan Smoked Gouda Mac n' Cheeze and Baked Sweet Potato Fries. Works every time!

The Smoked Gouda Sauce isn't 100% raw, as I have mentioned, because I do use liquid smoke, but it is a tiny concession that is well worth it. Trust me, this stuff is the bomb. I have to make blenders full because when I do make it, it must be slathered on everything.


You may remember my Smoked Gouda Stuffed Rosemary Portobellos...

(the finished product w/ Rosemary-Miso Reduction and Homemade Tahini)


or my Sun dried Tomato Sun Seed Burger with dehydrated Smoked Gouda Cheese...

I am pretty sure you could smecher this vegan cheese sauce on a tire and it would taste good...
   
Smoked Gouda Cheese:
  • 1 cup raw cashews (soaked 2 hours)  
  • 1/3 cup of raw almond or cashew milk
  • 1 tablespoon VivAgave (Optional)
  • 1 Organic Red Bell Pepper
  • 2 cloves of garlic (3 if you are using small cloves)
  • 1 green onion/scallion 
  • 4-5 T Nutritional Yeast Flakes
  • 2 T Wheat-Free Tamari
  • 1 T Mellow White Miso
  • Dash of turmeric for color
  • 1 cap of liquid smoke
  • Sea Salt and black pepper to taste!

Liquid smoke is seriously what gives this sauce a fantastic smoked Gouda taste. You only need a tiny bit of this to impart the smoky flavor so only fill the cap of the liquid smoke and pour into the sauce.

 Blend it up and enjoy poured over your pasta of choice. This also makes a great dip for veggies (add less almond milk for a thicker consistency) or a no-cheese fondue! You can change up this sauce by omitting the liquid smoke and adding your favorite spice combinations like curry, basil, or thyme.

 When I make this for myself and not Kev, I typically omit the nuts. Oddly enough, using chia seeds to thicken this sauce works just as well. I am sure you can even replace the cashews with sunflower seeds. If you want a more authentic cheese then I would stick with the cashews for sure. 

 Tomorrow ( I promise, since I've got to make up for this past weekish) food updates/pictures, fermented veggies via Pure2raw Twins, and much more!

4 comments:

  1. love the gouda recipe, earlier in the week i posted a 10-Recipes in a Post post using Nooch. Love that stuff!

    And moving. Been married almost 10 yrs, together almost 12. Have moved 12 times. Across the country and state lines. And every time we swear we're not moving again, we do. Now just have to move back to San Diego from AZ and we'll be all set !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, that smoked gouda cheese sounds heavenly! Must try! And hey, the VivAgave should be required. hee hee! Good stuff is all I'm sayin.

    My husband and I have moved our fair share and it's a total drag. One day we'll have enough dough to buy the land we want and stay put but until then this is what we do I guess. :) And not sure I should admit this for him but he actually likes the Twilight movies. Yay! I love the books. I'm trying to convince him to read those but we'll see. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've moved every year for the past...5 years and every two years previous for my ENTIRE life. My boyfriend and I are moving in May and I swear we're going to stay there for a few years at least!!! We really want a balcony so I can grow some herbs, flowers, and hopefully veggies.

    Thanks for your smoked gouda recipe, I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm! That recipe sounds really yummy! Can't wait to try and love all of your suggestions.Don't feel bad- Just saw Twilight for the first time in January- loved it! ;)

    ReplyDelete